Find your perfect course

Find the courses that are right for you

Help and Advice

QUICK LINKS

Catering & Professional Chefs Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3

An apprenticeship offers you the chance to earn a wage while you are employed and learning the practical skills required for the job. Once employment is secured, you will be trained ‘on the job’ and given the opportunity to develop your professional cookery skills.

This course has roll-on, roll-off beginning and end dates to accommodate demand. Please feel free to enquire about upcoming dates using the button below.

• Course details, fees and dates

Course Code NF0PJ / 10001

How long is the course? 12 months

What time does the course start? TBC

What time does the course end? TBC

When does the course run? TBC

• Who is this course for?

This apprenticeship is aimed at students aged 16 and over who would like to pursue a technical career and gain a formal qualification.

Any employment is challenging and an apprenticeship carries the extra demands of gaining your qualifications and being willing to continually update your knowledge and understanding and develop your skills. You will need to be conscientious, mature, reliable, self-motivated, committed and enthusiastic.

The specific pathway covered in this apprenticeship is the L3 Professional Cookery Apprenticeship. This apprenticeship is for chefs who want to develop their professional skills and work in high standard kitchens where they have the opportunity to train as Sous/Senior Chefs, working in fine/casual dining settings, as a Pastry Chef or as a Sous/Senior Chef in Craft Cuisine.

• Am I qualified to join the course?

To enrol on this qualification you will need at least nine months experience of working in the catering industry; Or completion of an Intermediate Level Apprenticeship in Catering and Professional Chefs - Food Production and Cooking, Professional Cookery or Craft Cuisine pathway.

Applicants may also have achieved one of the following:

• (14 – 19) Diploma in Hospitality
    • technical qualification(s) related to cooking
    • Academic qualifications such as GCSEs
  • What will the course cover?
    • NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery level 3
    • Level 3 Certificate in Hospitality and Catering Principles (Professional Cookery)
    • Employee Rights and Responsibilities – you will learn about your rights and responsibilities in the workplace. This will cover things such as health and safety, contract of employment and hours of work
    • Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
  • What will I be able to do as a result of the course?

In addition to the skills developed on a L2 Apprenticeship this Apprenticeship, you will develop your cookery skills in a number of complex areas including:

• Preparing, cooking and finishing meat, poultry, fish and vegetable dishes.
    • Menu planning and costing.
    • Enhanced presentation techniques.
    • Managing a kitchen/section.

In addition to the specific skills you will also develop general skills in analysing numerical information and communication relevant to your job role.

• How will I be taught?

Apprenticeships are achieved through a blended learning approach, incorporating taught sessions, workplace learning and assessments. Each unit will be continually assessed. Most of an apprentice’s training is performed in the work place on the job but there will also be the need to complete off-the-job training within college by day release. You will receive one-to-one support, group teaching and advice from our team of qualified assessors and advisers.

• How will I know I am progressing and how is the course assessed?

You will be allocated an assessor whose role it is to evaluate your competency. When your assessor is satisfied that you have met all of the requirements for a unit they will confirm this by signing an evidence record sheet to show that the assessment is complete. The assessor will visit you in your work place on a regular basis. The apprenticeship is assessed by continuous assessment of practical, written and oral work, online testing, assessment in the workplace and through the production of a portfolio of work.

• Will I have chance to get my own views across?

You will have consistent contact with your assessor throughout the course. In addition, quarterly reviews with your assessor and workplace supervisor will you the opportunity to provide feedback on any aspect of the course. At the end of the course you will have the opportunity to evaluate your course by completing a questionnaire.

• What can the course lead to?

On completion of this Apprenticeship, the apprentice will be competent to work a:

• Sous Chef or
    • Senior Chef/Cook.
    • Eventual progression could be to general management, Executive Chef
    • Further apprenticeship opportunities include:
    • Higher Apprenticeship in Hospitality Management (Level 4).
    • Further and Higher Education opportunities include:

• Foundation Degree in Culinary Arts
    • Foundation Degree in Hospitality Management
  • How do I apply?

Please complete and submit the Apprenticeship Application Form, which should include an up to date reference. After the application form has been received an interview will be arranged. As this a roll-on, roll-off course interviews will take place throughout the year including during the summer.

To Apply or Enquire

If you are interested in applying please fill out an application form. If you require more information please do not hesitate in sending us your queries via our enquiry form. We will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.

subject tasters at Richmond upon thames college experience inside the classroom London 2016 2017 1

apply for apprenticeship vacancies at richmond upon thames college 2016

What our students say...

NVQ Professional Cookery

NVQ level 1 professional cookery student loves the environment in Richmond upon Thames Colleges training kitchen at the campus near Chiswick

Always learning something

“I came to the college after seeing the facilities online and loved the fact that the college had its own restaurant to train in. My knife skills have really improved, as has my knowledge of ingredients and how to present food to a professional standard. The college environment really suits me compared to school and I’m learning something new and interesting in every lesson.”

More soundbites

Find your course

Local offer of additional learning support at a top ofsted good college in south west london 1

Latest News