Find your perfect course

Find the courses that are right for you

Help and Advice

QUICK LINKS

Plumbing - Access to Building Services Engineering (BSE 2000) Level 1 Certificate

Imagine your home with no hot and cold water, no toilet or central heating or electric power and lighting. Imagine being in a supermarket with no refrigeration to keep the food fresh. Many people who work in modern offices also take air conditioning for granted. This is building services engineering and it is a vital part of modern life. Engineers are needed to install, service and maintain equipment.

Exam Board: City & Guilds

STARTS SEPTEMBER

• Course details, fees and dates

Course Code TH0EG / 10001

Start Date September

How long is the course? 1 Year(s)

• What will I study and learn?

All four trades are covered, so you will have the opportunity to find out what you enjoy most and help you make the choices to develop a career.

There are five core units:

• Introduction to the building services engineering sector
    • Electrical
    • Plumbing
    • Refrigeration and air conditioning
    • Heating and ventilation

There are three additional mandatory units (units to have to take):

• Health and safety
    • Environmental awareness
    • Building services engineering science

During the course you will learn about electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation, refrigeration and air conditioning systems. Lessons in the class room will cover the theory behind how these systems work. Others will be in our practical workshops where you will put into practice what you have learnt. You will use a wide range of hand and power tools in order to complete the practical tasks required. Health and safety training will also form an important part of your course.

• How is the course assessed?

The course is assessed through a mixture of practical and theory units which include a practical work portfolio and on-line exams. For example what you have made in the workshop will be assessed. Your portfolio will be a workbook in which you write about how you completed your practical tasks in the workshops.

• What skills will I need for the course?

You should have an interest in this type of subject and enjoy working out practical problems. You should enjoy working with your hands and have a good level of fitness. Attention to detail is also an essential for successful plumbing. You must be physically fit.

• What formal entry requirements will I need?

We would like you to have a minimum of 4 GCSEs including English and maths at grade D and two other GCSEs at grade E.

• What could the course lead to in higher education or careers?

Once you have successfully completed the level 1 certificate course you may progress to a level 2 diploma course.

The industry offers great opportunities for those with the relevant qualifications and motivation to succeed.

• Are there any costs involved?

All students will have to provide appropriate personal protective equipment (flame retardant overalls and safety boots/shoes) at approximately £70. You will also need to buy a calculator and memory stick. A textbook for the level of study is also required at an approximate cost of £30.

To Apply or Enquire

If you are interested in applying please fill out an application form. If you require more information please do not hesitate in sending us your queries via our enquiry form. We will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.

subject tasters at Richmond upon thames college experience inside the classroom London 2016 2017 1

What our students say...

BTEC Carpentry and Joinery

btec level 3 Bench Carpentry and Joinery student has gained the skills and experience she needs to enter employment from Richmond upon Thames College at the Surrey campus

The best course

“I’ve really enjoyed my carpentry course and have gained real satisfaction from the process of making something from start to finish. I built a cabinet for my final project that was quite intricate and something I’m really proud of. I’ve now got the skills to gain employment and become a full time carpenter. It’s the best course I could have chosen.”

More soundbites

apply for apprenticeship vacancies at richmond upon thames college 2016

Find your course

Local offer of additional learning support at a top ofsted good college in south west london 1

Latest News