Our New College

Find out more about our brand new college campus that Opens in Spring 2020

Find your perfect course


Money Matters for Adult Leaners

Money Matters

One of the main reasons people choose to go to college for their Higher Education is because it costs less than going to university and often the course choices offer a more practical and applied approach to learning. Studying at a college for your Access or Higher Education doesn't mean that you miss out on the same financial support students get at university - you are in entitled to apply for the same financial support. 

Student Finance England (SFE)

The Student Finance England full-time undergraduate application service for 2020/21 is now open. New students should apply online at www.gov.uk/studentfinance.

SFE will contact continuing students in due course to prompt them to apply. 

Student Loans Company

RuTC students studying an undergraduate programme can apply for a student loan in the same way university students can. You can find out more and apply by clicking here.

The Student Loans Company have launched a new Digital Evidence Submission system that makes it easier for students to provide supporting evidence for their applications.

Full-time and part-time undergraduate students in England and Wales, as well as their parents and partners, can use this to submit all their evidence via their online accounts.

Digital Evidence Submission will also make it easier for students who need additional support to supply evidence. Students applying for Disabled Students’ Allowances, Grants for Dependants and full income-assessed support can now directly upload evidence rather than having to post it.

Advanced Learner Loans

Students studying Access to Higher Education courses can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan and can find out more by clicking here.

Our bursary fund provides financial support to overcome specific barriers to education. If you are eligible we may be able to offer some financial support to our Adult learners to help with college costs, materials and childcare. We administer bursary and similar hardship schemes on behalf of government agencies and adopt the applicable guidance in doing so. The College does not designate other funding from general reserves for this purpose.

Over 19 Discretionary Learner Support Fund

To be eligible for the Over 19 Discretionary Learner Support Fund you must:

  • Meet the ESFA/AEB residency criteria (see bursary guidelines)
  • Be aged 19 to 23 at the 31 August 2019 (if 24+ courses at Level 2 or below only)
  • Be enrolled on a government funded further education course at Richmond Upon Thames College up to and including first full Level 3
  • Been assessed as a Home student (eg. UK or EU students ordinarily a resident in UK, refugee status or leave to remain)
  • Show evidence that your household income is £25,000 or below per annum

The amount of support we can offer will be dependent on the number of hours you study and on available funds.

Please return the application form to room C15 at college.

Advanced Learner Loan Bursary

To be eligible for the Advanced Learner Loan Bursary, you must:

  • Be aged 19 or over on the first day of your course.
  • Be studying an eligible course at Richmond upon Thames College at Level 3 or above.
  • Have been living in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for 3 years immediately before you start your course
  • Meet the nationality/residency criteria set by the Student Loans Company
  • Have had your Advanced learner loan approved by the Student Loan Company
  • Show evidence that your income is £25,000 or below per annum

The amount of support we can offer will be dependent on the number of hours you study and on available funds.

Please return the application form to room C15 at college.

Advanced Learner Loan Application 2020-21 
Guidelines for Adults 2020-21


If you need financial assistance with childcare costs and are under 20, you can apply to the Care to Learn Scheme.

If you are over 20 we may be able to help you with Childcare costs whilst you study. Your income needs to be less than £25,000. The childcare provider must be Ofsted registered.

If your child is eligible for the government 15 hours of Free Childcare the college will expect you to make use of that, before we offer funding.

Please note: if you are eligible for the Care to Learn Scheme, the college bursary will not be available for childcare costs.

Application for Childcare Support

Should you require more information, please send an email to the student services officers on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call them on 0208 607 8353. Applications will be on a first come first serve basis. Please see the guidelines for further information.

Find your course

Related Links

Latest News