Our New College

Find out more about our brand new college campus that Opens in Spring 2020

Find your perfect course


Student Welfare

Information for Looked After Young Persons, care leavers, students living independently on benefits, young parents and young carers.

Richmond upon Thames College is a friendly and supportive college which offers a range of support services for students who have extra responsibilities. With your permission student support staff will work together with outside agencies such as Social Services, Local Authority Housing departments, hostel key workers, and the Citizens Advice Bureaux to support you in your studies. The Student Support team are based in the Advice Hub (Room C15).

We know that there can be a lot of additional pressure on you, so we will help you in any way we can to ensure you are able to get on with your studies. We help right from the time you make your application to the college to when you go on to university or employment after college.

Getting help couldn’t be easier – you can contact the Advice Hub directly at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or visit them in Room C15. If you disclose that you have extra responsibilities during application or enrolment, you will be signposted to the Student Support team quickly to ensure that support is in place for you as soon as you begin your studies.

If you are a Looked After Young Person in financial need or living independently on benefits you may be eligible for the Enhanced Bursary (known as the Defined Vulnerable Groups Bursary), which equates up to £1,200 per year calculated on individual financial need. This bursary can be used to contribute towards travel costs, college meals, uniform, course materials and books – funding will be prioritised towards these expenditures.

Dealing with outside agencies can be stressful when you are at college full time. The Student Support team is here to help you in any way they can and act as your advocate. If you are a young carer or care leaver there may also be additional support available depending on our circumstances.

We appreciate that if you are a young parent you may also be in need of both financial and practical help. If you need help with your childcare costs visit Care to Learn, who can pay for up to £175 per week’s childcare. To download an application form visit Care to Learn.

We work closely with Social Services departments to support Looked After learners and care leavers. We provide:

  • A central point of contact for information
  • Individual help with problems or queries Input at PEP meetings, family reviews or case conferences
  • We only share information with our learners’ permission.

Find your course

Latest News