This is a one year practical course where you will develop your expertise in acting and stagecraft. You will participate in several productions over the year, including a devised piece and a scripted play. You will take an active role in marketing, designing and producing your shows, as well as performing in them. Lessons are mainly practical, but written work is an essential component, making up at least 30% of your assessment. The focus of the course is building the teamwork skills, confidence and knowledge you would need to progress on to a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in performing arts.
During the course you will study the following units:
- Working in the performing arts industry – This unit aims to provide you with knowledge of employment opportunities within the performing arts industry and the jobs undertaken by those who work in it.
- Professional development in the performing arts industry – This unit allows you to gain knowledge of a range of career opportunities with a view to your own professional development within the performing arts industry.
- Performing arts production process – This aim of this unit is to develop your understanding of the essential processes required for staging a performance, including all technical and administrative procedures. It also fosters an understanding of the need for teamwork and cooperation.
- Acting skills and techniques – This unit focuses on enabling you to develop specific acting techniques. Skills acquired throughout this unit are vital to developing your confidence and understanding of the role of the actor.
- Devising plays – The aim of this unit is to give you the knowledge and skills to be able to create plays using a variety of devising techniques. This allows for the exploration of subject matter, themes, topics and issues that can be developed to create a unique piece of drama.
- Performing scripted plays – This unit is about the rehearsing and performing of play scripts. In this unit you will develop the skills required to interpret a role as written by a playwright. You will rehearse a role within a group and perform it before an audience.
- Developing physical theatre performance – The aim of this unit is to develop your physical theatre skills. There will be opportunities to develop skills in movement, spatial awareness and voice through practical exploration.