Find your perfect course

Find the courses that are right for you

Help and Advice

QUICK LINKS

Principles of Dementia Care Level 2 Certificate

This course and qualification assists learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of the principles of caring for those with dementia.

• Course details, fees and dates

Course Code PH0PB / 10901

Start Date Wednesday 24 Jan 2018

How long is the course? 16 weeks

What time does the course start? 4:30PM

What time does the course end? 8:00PM

When does the course run? Wednesday

How much does the course cost? Tuition fee £484 Exam fee £0 Certification fee £10 Materials fee £1 = Total fee £495

Are concessions available? If you are 19-23 or receiving benefits, please refer to our Fee Concessions Information.

• What is the course about and how might it benefit me?

The course covers areas such as:

• Person-centred care
    • The influence of positive communication methods
    • Issues relating to the use of medication for those with dementia
    • The importance of providing appropriate activities

The qualification does not infer competence in the work role, but can be used to support the underpinning knowledge and understanding needed for those working in or towards a dementia care role.

You will study seven mandatory units:

• Dementia awareness
    • The person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
    • Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
    • Understanding equality and diversity and inclusion in dementia care
    • Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
    • Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
    • Understand the benefits of engaging activities in social care
  • What qualification or experience do I need to start the course?
    • Work experience in the sector
    • Good writing and analytical skills
    • Enjoy working with people
    • Good time management
    • Independent learning ability
  • How will I be taught?

You will be taught during class time and will be required to study for around 5 hours a week outside of class time.

• How will I be assessed?

This course is internally assessed continuously through assignments and externally moderated portfolios.

• What qualification will I get?

You will gain a Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care.

• What can the course lead to?

You will learn, use and develop a variety of transferable skills throughout the course. These include collecting, analysing and interpreting data, communicating your findings in different ways, and identifying and developing the links between different parts of the subject. These skills are in high demand and are recognised by employers and universities as being of great value.

The course could lead to further study at a higher level in health, public services and care or to further training in such areas as care support work, health work or advice and assistance work within the sector.

• How do I join the course?

To enrol, please click the Add to Basket button at the top of the page. For more information, visit How to Enrol. Please note that your final acceptance on to this course will be subject to an interview, either by telephone or in person.

To Enrol or Enquire

If you are interested in enrolling please login or register to add to basket. If you require more information please do not hesitate in sending us your queries via our enquiry form. We will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.

What our students say...

BTEC Health and Social Care

BTEC Level 3 health and social care student at Richmond upon Thames College London gained insight into a nursing career on her course

A career in nursing 

“I really enjoy my course and especially like the coursework as it allows me to explore the subject in more detail. I also really enjoyed my placement at a local day care centre where I helped provide care for people with dementia and mobility issues. It really opened my eyes to a possible career in nursing once I’ve finished university.”

More soundbites
subject tasters at Richmond upon thames college experience inside the classroom London 2016 2017 1

Find your course

access to HE application form for richmond upon thames College business art health studies social care

Local offer of additional learning support at a top ofsted good college in south west london 1

Latest News