Find your perfect course

Find the courses that are right for you

Help and Advice

QUICK LINKS

Welding Skills Level 2

This course is designed to further develop your welding skills. At the end of the course you should be able to appreciate the importance of working practices in fabrication and welding workshops and have a broad knowledge of the welding processes achieved in one - or all - of the modules covered.

• Course details, fees and dates

Course Code XE0PB / C0901

Start Date Wednesday 11 Apr 2018

How long is the course? 10 weeks

What time does the course start? 6:30PM

What time does the course end? 8:30PM

When does the course run? Wednesday

How much does the course cost? All Fees £575

Are concessions available? If you are 19-23 or receiving benefits, please refer to our Fee Concessions Information.

• What is the course about and how might it benefit me?

This course is made up of three 20 hour 'stand-alone' welding modules. Completion/assessment of five practical welding assignments is required to achieve full Level 2 college certification. There will be a certificate at the end of each module. The 4 stand-alone modules covered on this course are:

Module 1: Oxy-Acetylene Welding Skills (O/A)

• Lap Fillet Joint - H/V
    • T Fillet Joint - H/V
    • Braze Welding - T Fillet - H/V
    • Corner Joint - Flat
    • Butt Joint

Module 2: Manual Metal-Arc Welding Skills (MMA)

• Overlapping Beads on Plate - Flat
    • Lap Fillet Joint - H/V
    • T Fillet - Flat
    • T Fillet - H/V
    • Butt Joint - Flat

Module 3: Metal Arc Gas-Shielded Welding Skills (MIG/MAGS)

• Lap Fillet Joint - H/V
    • T Fillet - Flat
    • T Fillet - H/V
    • Corner Joint - Flat
    • Butt Joint - Flat

Module 4: Tungsten Inert Gas Welding Skills (TIG)

• Lap Fillet Joint - H/V
    • T Fillet - Flat
    • T Fillet - H/V
    • Corner Joint - Flat
    • Butt Joint - Flat
  • What qualification or experience do I need to start the course?

This course is for those who wish to further develop their welding skills as a route in to working in the welding and fabrication industry, or for those who are already working within the industry, in order to increase their employment potential and job security.

This course is aimed at those who have already completed Level 1 Fabrication and Welding, or who can demonstrate sufficient working experience.

To comply with Safety Regulations, students are required to provide their own overalls (fire retardant) and footwear (steel toe capped boots).

• How will I be taught?

A variety of teaching and learning methods are used on the course, dependent upon the modules being covered and the depth of experience and skills of those participating:

• Video, visual aids or handouts
    • Demonstration on a one-to-one basis
    • Simulation
    • Observations
    • Practical tests
    • Self-assessments
    • Non-destructive testing
    • Destructive testing
    • Tutor assessments

You will have constant contact with your tutor throughout the length of the course and there will be an opportunity to evaluate your course at the end.

• How will I be assessed?

The teacher will record your progress and provide informal, regular feedback throughout the course. At the end of your study programme you will be asked to self-assess your own progress and achievement against the expected achievements.

In each module, welded joints will be produced. By the end of the course you will have produced five different welding joints from each of the four welding processes covered. The five joints from your chosen welding process will be tested by rigorous inspection and destructive testing in accordance with BS4872. Your joints will be assessed as either pass or fail.

• What qualification will I get?

You will gain a Level 2 Richmond upon Thames College Certificate. In order to achieve a full Level 2 Certification, however, you must have successfully completed three of the modules, and have five practical welding assignments assessed.

• What can the course lead to?

At the end of the course you should be able to appreciate the importance of working practices in fabrication and welding workshops and have a broad knowledge of the welding processes achieved in one - or all - of the following modules.

Following successful completion of the five assignments for a particular welding process you would normally progress to the next welding process of the scheme (another module), or you could move on to a Level 3 course. For career progression you could perhaps prepare for a British Standards 4872.

• Further information

The purpose of the reading list is to make you aware of the numerous publications that are available on the subject of welding. You do not need to read them all! Most are useful for reference when you require specific information. Your tutor will recommend a suitable textbook should you wish to purchase one.

• Welding and Fabrication Technology: W Kenyon
    • Welding and Science Technology Volume I and II: A C Davies
    • Principles of Welding Technology: L M Gould
    • Introduction to Physical Metallurgy: K Easterling
    • Basic Training Guides in Welding: ENTRA
    • Welding Handbook: AWS
    • Welding Engineering, Science and Metallurgy: J Gardiner
    • Basic Welding: S Gibson
    • Motivate - Practical Welding: S Gibson
    • Basic OA, TIG, MIG Welding: I Griffen
    • Fatigue of Welding Structures: T R Gurney
    • Welding Process Technology: P T Houldcroft
    • Metals and their Weldability: AWS
    • Metallurgy of Welding: J F Lancaster
    • Fundamentals of Welding Skills: P Woods
To Enrol or Enquire

If you are interested in enrolling please login or register to add to basket. If you require more information please do not hesitate in sending us your queries via our enquiry form. We will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.

subject tasters at Richmond upon thames college experience inside the classroom London 2016 2017 1

apply for apprenticeship vacancies at richmond upon thames college 2016

Find your course

What our students say...

ECTIB Engineering Apprenticeship

ecitb engineering construction and draughting student discusses the positive impact on her career that her course at Richmond upon Thames College London will have

Gaining invaluable skills

“I’m currently in my first year as an ECITB student and everyday I’m gaining invaluable skills that will aid my future career with my employer, Foster Wheeler. The course is taught by professionals who have a deep understanding of the industry and who go above and beyond to ensure our career progression.”

More soundbites

Local offer of additional learning support at a top ofsted good college in south west london 1

Latest News