Find your perfect course

Find the courses that are right for you

Help and Advice

QUICK LINKS

Brickwork Level 1 Diploma

During this course you will learn how to select and use basic tools, handle and store resources, identify and select the correct materials for the job, set out and construct brick walls ranging from a simple pyramid to garden walls using different bonds, and cover health and safety regulations.

You will work on your own and in a group to produce models in the workshops as well as having lessons in the classrooms. You will also complete units in English, Math and IT. Theory will be carried out using work sheets, OHPs, DVDs, question sheets and display boards to build up your units and portfolio evidence. Successful students will progress on to the Diploma Level 2.

Exam Board: Cskills Award

STARTS SEPTEMBER

• Course details, fees and dates

Course Code TG0FM / 10001

Start Date September

How long is the course? 1 Year(s)

• What will I study and learn?

You will learn about:

• health and safety regulations
    • how to use basic tools,
    • how to identify and select the correct materials for the job
    • how to set out and construct brickwork, blockwork and cavity walling

You will demonstrate what you have learned with a portfolio of evidence that you have collected through your studies on the course.

• How is the course assessed?

Your work is assessed using a mixture of practical assessments, written workbooks, assignments, short question papers and tests.

For example, something that you have built in the workshop will be assessed and at various stages during the course when you have obtained relevant knowledge you will answer short question papers about the topics you have learned so far. There is also a multiple choice test, externally set, and taken online at the end of the course.

• What skills will I need for the course?

You should have an interest in brickwork and enjoy working with your hands. Attention to detail is also an essential part of construction crafts and you should also be fit as sometimes the work can be heavy. You must also be prepared to develop the key skills of application of number, communication and information technology. You should be physically fit.

• What formal entry requirements will I need?

You will need to have gained a minimum four GCSEs with grades in the D-E range to include English and maths at grade D
    OR
    progression from an entry level 3 course.

• What could the course lead to in higher education or careers?

The diploma level 1 leads on to the diploma level 2. Towards the end of the diploma level 2 our students can apply to become an apprentice at NVQ level 2 or continue on to a diploma level 3. Well-qualified bricklayers are highly sought after in the construction industry. Many of our students set up their own businesses when they have completed their training.

• Are there any costs involved?

All students will have to provide appropriate personal protective equipment (overalls and safety boots) at approximately £60. You will also need to buy a calculator and memory stick. A textbook for the level of study is also required at an approximate cost of £25.

To Apply or Enquire

If you are interested in applying please fill out an application form. If you require more information please do not hesitate in sending us your queries via our enquiry form. We will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.

subject tasters at Richmond upon thames college experience inside the classroom London 2016 2017 1

What our students say...

BTEC Carpentry and Joinery

btec level 3 Bench Carpentry and Joinery student has gained the skills and experience she needs to enter employment from Richmond upon Thames College at the Surrey campus

The best course

“I’ve really enjoyed my carpentry course and have gained real satisfaction from the process of making something from start to finish. I built a cabinet for my final project that was quite intricate and something I’m really proud of. I’ve now got the skills to gain employment and become a full time carpenter. It’s the best course I could have chosen.”

More soundbites

apply for apprenticeship vacancies at richmond upon thames college 2016

Find your course

Local offer of additional learning support at a top ofsted good college in south west london 1

Latest News