Much of the course is delivered practically throughout our kitchens and preparing complex menus for our very successful Restaurant. In another practical session you will learn new skills demonstrated by our expert chefs and actively take part in skills sessions. In classroom sessions you will research gastronomy, food culture and investigate how to find the best quality ingredients for your kitchen.
Advanced Professional Cookery NVQ Level 3
Whereas Level 2 provides you with the skills required for employment in the industry, Level 3 offers you the opportunity to progress and learn advanced culinary skills. You will be preparing an exciting range of complex dishes and will be involved with the management of the kitchens. You will be able to use your creative talents in designing menus for our very successful Merits restaurant. On completion you will be in a position to apply for higher education courses or, alternatively, apply for employment in restaurants which offer a fine dining experience.
What will I study and learn?
How is the course assessed?
A selection of practical assessments in the kitchen, externally set assignments and written tests will cover the following units:
- Supervising food safety for catering
- Team working skills and kitchen management
- Sourcing produce for the professional kitchen
- Advanced skills and techniques in producing meat, poultry and game dishes
- Advanced skills and techniques in producing fish and shellfish dishes
- Advanced skills and techniques in producing desserts, petits fours and decorative products
Practical assessments throughout the year will test your ability to produce individual dishes, with a full assessment at the end of the course testing a range of the new skills you have learnt. Practical assessments are conducted under controlled conditions, to reflect the pressures that you will be working under in the industry. You will be given constant feedback on your progress and only be tested when you are ready to demonstrate your skills.
What skills will I need for the course?
- You will have good attention to detail
- Have good business sense and awareness of kitchen management
- Demonstrate good cleanliness and kitchen hygiene
- Be able to be creative
- Culinary expertise
- Fast-paced decision making
- Have good motivational skills and confidence to feedback to your peers
- Be able to multitask and have awareness of your surrounding
What formal entry requirements will I need?
You will have studied a level 2 NVQ/VRQ diploma in professional cookery and it is strongly advised that you have industry experience.
What could the course lead to in higher education or careers?
This course could lead to further study in higher education such as an HND or degree programme in hospitality or event management or culinary arts management. Your advanced skills will equip you to progress into working in top range restaurants offering a gourmet experience to their clients.
Are there any costs involved?
Chefs and waiters will need to buy their uniform, costing up to £165. There will also be costs incurred for a range of trips organised throughout the year.
- Catering & Professional Chefs Level 2 - Intermediate Apprenticeship
- Food & Beverage Services Level 2 - Intermediate Apprenticeship
- Food and Beverage Service NVQ Level 2 Diploma
- Hospitality Services Level 2 - Intermediate Apprenticeship
- Professional Cookery NVQ Diploma Level 2 (Part Time)
- Professional Cookery NVQ Level 2
- Advanced Professional Cookery NVQ Level 3
- Catering & Professional Chefs Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3
- Hospitality Supervision and Leadership Level 3 - Advanced Apprenticeship
- Patisserie and Confectionery Diploma Level 3 (Part Time)
- Professional Cookery NVQ Diploma Level 3 (Part Time)
- Professional Cookery NVQ Level 3 Diploma - Work Based Learning & Assessment
What our students say...
Find your course