RuTC is committed to providing high-quality customer services.
Alternatively, you can use the online Feedback and Complaints Form
We value complaints and use information from them to help us improve our services.
If something goes wrong or you are dissatisfied with our services, please tell us. This leaflet describes our complaints procedure and how to make a complaint. It also tells you about our service standards and what you can expect from us.
What is a complaint?
We regard a complaint as an expression of dissatisfaction by one or more customers about the college’s action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by the college or on its behalf.
What can I complain about?
You can complain about things like:
- a failure to provide a service
- an inadequate quality or standard of service
- the admissions process
- the disciplinary process
- a request for a service or for information which we have not actioned or answered
- our policies
- wrong information about academic programmes or our services
- the quality and availability of facilities and learning resources
- accessibility of our buildings or services
- the behaviour of a member of staff or contractor
- a student’s behaviour
- treatment by or attitude of a member of staff or contractor
- disagreement with a decision where you cannot use another procedure (such as an appeal) to resolve the matter
- our failure to follow the proper administrative process
Your complaint may involve more than one college service or be about someone working on our behalf, such as a contractor.
What can’t I complain about?
There are some things we can’t deal with through our complaints handling procedure.
- a routine first-time request for a service
- a request for information or an explanation of policy or practice
- a disagreement with academic judgement
- a claim for compensation against the college
- issues that are in court or have already been heard by a court or tribunal 2
- disagreement with a decision where a right of appeal exists, for example the academic appeals process
- a request for information under the Data Protection or Freedom of Information Acts
- a grievance by a member of staff
- an attempt to have us reopen or reconsider a complaint we have concluded or given our final decision on
If other procedures or rights of appeal can help you resolve your concerns, we will give information and advice to help you to use the Richmond upon Thames College Complaints Procedure.
Who can complain?
Anyone can make a complaint to us, including the representative of someone who is dissatisfied with our service.
Find your course