Find your perfect course

Find the courses that are right for you

Help and Advice

QUICK LINKS

FAQs

The College website has all information necessary to make a decision on what to study and how to apply. Below are frequently asked questions which we hope will help you get what you need. If not, please continue to explore our website or use the search bar on the top right to answer your query. To find the answers to the FAQs below, please click on the relevant drop-down.

• Online application queries

• Can I log back in to finish my application?

If you have an incomplete application you can log back in by clicking the blue Apply Now button the application page to finish it. Just enter the email address you used when you originally set up the account. Enter your password. Don't worry if you have forgotten your password, just click the forgotten password link. A new screen should open and you will then be able to continue with your application.

• Who to contact about any problems with my online application?

If you are having problems with your online application, you can contact the Admissions team. Call 020 8607 8302 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

• What information will I need to complete my online application?

It should be relatively simple to complete your online application, but it would be useful if you had the following to hand:

• An idea of what course you want to apply for, although if you prefer you can select the 'Advice Only Interview' option if you would like to come in for an initial chat.
      • An email address. You must have an email address to create an account as this is how we will be communicating with you throughout the process.
      • A mobile phone number. We may need to text you about your application on occasion.
      • The details of your parent or guardian, including address, contact numbers and an email address (if possible).
      • Your GCSE predicted grades. If you're not sure of these don't worry, just include a rough estimate. We will contact your school to confirm these are correct.
        The details of your school. You can select from a drop-down list which includes 100 secondary schools. If your school isn't listed, select 'other'.
    • What if my current/previous school is not on the drop-down list?

Just select 'other'. You can then enter the details of your school.

• What if I don't know my predicted grades?

Just provide a rough estimate. Don't worry if you don't know, we will contact your school to confirm.

• How will I be contacted?

We would normally contact you via the email address you have provided on your online application.

• What if I want to change the subjects I chose on my online application?

Don't worry, you can change any of your subject choices at the interview stage of the process. You can continue to change any of your subject choices until the end of June 2013.

• What should I do if my contact details change?

If you wish to change your contact details, you can contact the Admissions team. Call 020 8607 8302 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

• I don't have access to a computer at home, how can I apply?

Computers are available to use in many schools and local libraries. Call 020 8607 8302 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for further advice.

• Is there a deadline for online applications?

Not really, but we would advise you to apply as soon as possible to ensure you are offered the maximum number of choices.

• What happens after I submit my online application?

We will first contact your school for a reference, then invite you to attend an interview.

• Does the system allow you to transfer A Levels?

You cannot apply for an A Level transfer using the online applications system. Please call 020 8607 8302 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for further advice.

• What if I'm not sure which course to apply for?

Just select the 'Advice Only Interview' option when applying, and we'll invite you in for a chat.

• What if I have overseas qualifications?

This is fine, you can still add these under the 'Qualifications' section of the online application.

• What if I don't have the predicted grades for my course?

Probably. We will discuss alternatives with you at the interview stage.

• What if I have non-GCSE/technical qualifications (not GCSEs/technical)?

Don't worry, we can discuss these with you at the interview stage.

• I don't have an email address, can I still apply?

Unfortunately not. You will need to create an email address before you start the online application process or use the email address of your parent/guardian.

• Courses options, qualifications and requirements

• Can I do any combination of AS/A Level courses?

Yes, you will be able to study almost any sensible combination.

• How many GCSEs do I need to do A levels?

At Richmond upon Thames College we expect students applying to study AS levels (the first part of A level) to have taken at least 6 GCSEs (not GCSE equivalents). Other colleges and sixth forms may vary and you need to find out about their entry requirements from their course guide or website.

• If I can't get into AS/A Level, are there other courses I could do?

Yes. We offer a GCSE Pathway and a range of BTEC Level 1 and 2 Diploma courses (explore these via our course finder) as well as NVQs and Apprenticeships.

• Can I study several courses at the same time?

While many combinations can be accommodated, there are limitations as to which courses can be studied at the same time. Take a look at the course descriptions for more information. Should you choose to apply to the College, your options will also be discussed at the interview stage. 

• What do the qualification levels mean?

Yes, you can find out what each level means on our Qualifications Explained page

• Why should I study technical courses or GCSEs?

Talk to people who know you and know how you work best. If you have a specific career in mind, you should discuss this with a careers adviser to find out which route is most likely to get you to where you want to be.

As a general rule technical courses will be good preparation for studying technical courses at a higher level. GCSEs will usually provide a better background for studying A levels.

Technical studies will normally form a small part of your programme at this stage and ideally you should take one or two technical qualifications only alongside your GCSEs.

• If I have get a technical qualification could I do A Levels after?

This will depend on the content of the course studied and whether it provides good preparation for A level study.

• If I take a technical pathway will I get into university?

Yes, many students apply to university with a level 3 technical qualification, which is the equivalent of 2 or 3 A Levels, they may also have additional subjects at AS or A Level. For some university courses this is the ideal preparation, for example, the BTEC Extended Diplomas in Art and Design or in Media are seen as excellent preparation for practical courses in these areas.

• Are there good facilities to support my chosen course?

Yes, our facilities are great. There are specific course related facilities such as a sports and physiology lab, recording studios and an aircraft cabin as well as cross college facilities which include our excellent library and college gym. Explore our range of college facilities

• College life, sports, gym and extracurricula

• How will I meet people and make friends at college?

As we are a large college, there are many opportunities to meet new people and make friends at our clubs, societies and social areas. Read more about this on our College Life information page.

• Are there any activities or clubs I could join?

Of course! We have a number of vibrant clubs including the Student Union, student ambassadors, amnesty international, creative clubs, debate club, sports club and more. Explore the opportunities on our college life and experience page.

• Are the sports clubs the College good? Is there a gym?

We have many teams for the competitive sportsperson with regular practices and fixtures against other schools and colleges as well as our very popular sports academies. Alternatively, you may participate in a club sport just for fun, to keep fit or to be sociable. You could play badminton or join a group for circuit training. There is also a RuTC gym that is available to all students – and it's FREE!

• Student support, progression, university and jobs

• Is there anyone to help me with UCAS and university applications?

You will be given help with completing your form and writing your personal statement. Our Careers Centre holds all the current university prospectuses for you to read and will support you in thinking about your course and university choices. There is a Higher Education Fair at the College, in the spring, where you can talk to admissions staff from a large number of universities.

• Is there help and advice in applying to Oxford or Cambridge?

We have a member of staff who is responsible for preparing students for applying to Oxford or Cambridge and courses in Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Science. Students are also supported by their Personal Tutor. Support is offered through meetings, internal / external events and one to one appointments.

• Will someone help me get jobs during and after my studies?

Our Careers Centre will support students in finding employment. There is also a Work and Training Fair at the College, in the spring, where you can to talk to employers and training providers.

• College open events, tasters and tours

• Does the College run open events?

The College runs two open events in October, one in November and one in February, normally aimed at Year 10. To register for an open event, see Open Event Registration Form.

• Are there opportunities to get a taste of studying at RuTC?

Of course! We have exciting subject tasters in all subjects where Year 10s and 11s get a chance to meet the teachers, experience their teaching styles and meet their potential classmates. Find out more and book onto a subject taster on our Subject Taster Booking Form and information page.

• If I miss an open day, can I still come in for a tour?

Great news! We have a number of opportunities for you to come in to take a personal tour of the College. Find out the upcoming dates via our Tour Booking Form and information page.

• College policies, rules and regulations

• What is your policy on smoking?

We work hard to make sure that the College environment is as healthy as possible for all members of our community. Because of this, students and staff are not allowed to smoke in any part of the College site, apart from in the designated smoking area.

• What do you expect from students?

Student responsibilities set out what we expect from you as a college student. We require a strong commitment from you which includes regular attendance at all your classes, punctuality and dedication to your course of study.

The College enforces strict guidelines in these areas.

• Student finance, bursaries and free meals

• Does the College offer financial assistance/bursaries?

If your household income is £16,190 gross per annum or below (for the tax year April 2015-16), then you may be eligible for a student bursary.

Further details and a bursary application form is available on our Student Bursary information page.

• Does the College offer free meals?

If you receive a bursary then you may also be eligible for free schools meals which the Government is currently proposing to offer students from 2014 onwards. To see if you are eligible and/or to apply, visit our Free Meals information page

If you haven't had your queries answered via the website or these FAQs, please fill in an Enquiry Form and we will get back to you as soon as possible with a reply.

apply for apprenticeship vacancies at richmond upon thames college 2016

Find your course

access to HE application form for richmond upon thames College business art health studies social care

Latest News