Sport Level 2 Diploma
Sport is an exciting and fast-growing industry with a wide range of activities, facilities and job opportunities. Studying sport involves all the activities that you choose to do in your free time, and a chance to learn more about performance and how the body adapts to training.
Exam Board: OCR
STARTS IN SEPTEMBER
More course information
What will I study and learn?
Over the year you will be studying seven vocational units:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Fitness Testing and Training
- Practical Sport
- Nutrition for Sport
- Injury for Sport
- Planning and Leading Sports Activities
- Technical Skills and Tactical Awareness for Sport
You will be working individually and as part of a group. Lectures are normally classroom based. Sports-based work placements are a feature of this programme.
You will have the opportunity to participate in a wide range of sports activities at the college in your free time.
How is the course assessed?
The technical units will be assessed through assignment booklets which will be completed during the year. Assessment is 100% coursework (This may change to partial assessment by exam subject to OCR requirements for 2018-19).
Coursework tasks are varied. You will learn how the body systems work, get energy from food and recover from injury. You will also plan and take part in team activities such as sports competitions, and learn about the technical and tactical skills needed for successful performance in sport.
What skills will I need for the course?
You must be able to show a genuine interest in sport as a future career option and be regularly participating in physical activity. You will be expected to discuss your interests and achievements at the interview.
What formal entry requirements will I need?
You should have a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade D including English and Maths.
OR Level 1 Diploma at Pass and GCSE English and Maths at grade 3 or Functional Skills.
What could the course lead to in higher education or careers?
Many students progress on to the BTEC level 3 Extended Diploma in sport, provided they have gained a Merit in all the units at level 2 and have a C grade in English and Maths, along with a positive tutor reference. Other students go straight into training or take up employment in the leisure and sport industry at a junior level in sports clubs and leisure centres.
Are there any costs involved?
Student materials will cost £30. There may be additional costs for occasional trips.
- Access to HE Diploma Sports Science
- Advanced Apprenticeship Supporting the Development of PE and School Sport Level 3
- Dip. HPT5 Gold (L2 Gym, L3 PT & HPT5 Specialist Programme)
- Dip. HPT5 Platinum (L2 Gym, L3 PT, HPT5 Specialist Programme & L3 SMT)
- Dip. HPT5 Silver (L2 Gym, L3 PT & Body Mapping CPD)
- HPT5 Specialist Programme (Body Mapping, Functional Biomechanics & Injury Management)
- Leisure Management Advanced (Level 3) Apprenticeship
- Personal Training Certificate Level 3
- Sport Development, Coaching and Fitness BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
- Sports and Exercise Science BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
- Sports Development Advanced (Level 3) Apprenticeship
- Sports Massage Therapy Diploma Level 3
- Supporting Teaching & Learning in Physical Education Advanced (Level 3) Apprenticeship
Find your course