Find your perfect course

Find the courses that are right for you

Help and Advice

QUICK LINKS

Applied Science Level 3 Certificate/Subsidiary Diploma

This BTEC level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Science contains a range of science units from biology, chemistry and physics. The programme attracts the same UCAS points as 1 A level and you can take 2 other subjects alongside it to create a full study programme.

Please note that this course must be part of an A Level study programme (i.e. it cannot be taken on its own as a vocational subject).

Exam Board: Edexcel

STARTS IN SEPTEMBER 

• What will I study and learn?

The qualification consists of studying 4 units in 2 years, looking at the application of science based on a mixture of practical experiments and theory activities.

You will take part in laboratory-based practical assignments, presentations, group work and discussion supported by self-study.

The units you will study will include:

• Principals of science
    • Practical scientific procedures and techniques
    • Science investigation skills
    • Application of inorganic chemistry
  • How is the course assessed?

Assessment is a mixture of coursework and externally assessed work:

• Principals of science is a written exam
    • Practical scientific procedures and techniques is an internally marked assignment
    • Science investigation skills is an externally set and marked task
    • Application of inorganic chemistry is an internally marked assignment
  • What formal entry requirements will I need?

5 GCSEs at grades A*-C including English and Math at grade 5 with double or triple science at grades CC or CCC (or GCSE double applied science at CC)

OR

BTEC L2 Applied science at Merit or Distinction with GCSE English and Math at grade 5.

• What could the course lead to in higher education or careers?

This course provides a basis for progression into higher education and degree courses such as biology, chemistry, biomedical sciences, computing, nursing, radiography, pharmacology, forensic science and many others. The course also provides the appropriate background into employment with possible career-related further qualifications. The pathways taken could be aligned to medical, forensic or industrial career options.

• Are there any costs involved?

Annual cost between £50-£75 for trips, books and any personal equipment that may be required.

To Apply or Enquire

If you are interested in applying please fill out an application form. If you require more information please do not hesitate in sending us your queries via our enquiry form. We will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.

subject tasters at Richmond upon thames college experience inside the classroom London 2016 2017 1

Find your course

What our students say...

BTEC Science

aspiring radiographer loves the experiments and trips she takes part in as part of her Science BTEC at Richmond upon Thames College near Kingston

Interesting and fun experiments

“It was after meeting the passionate science teachers at one of the college’s Open Events that I decided that this was the college for me. We get to do lots of really interesting and fun experiments in class plus we’ve had some great visits to St Mary’s University’s science department as well as the National Physics Laboratory. It’s a brilliant course.”

More soundbites

Local offer of additional learning support at a top ofsted good college in south west london 1

Latest News