Our New College

Find out more about our brand new college campus that Opens in Spring 2020

Find your perfect course

QUICK LINKS

Building Services Engineering Level 3

The Building Services Engineering course covers the maths and science related to construction and building services and how to design plumbing, heating and air conditioning systems that are efficient and environmentally-friendly.

Building services engineers are responsible for the design, specification and management of systems in new and existing buildings creating a safe and comfortable environment. This includes heating, lighting, water supplies, plumbing, control systems and fire, security and alarm systems. 

Exam Board: Pearson

STARTS IN SEPTEMBER

Search your university & career options if you study Building Services Engineering Level 3
  • What will I study and learn?

During the first year your will study for the Extended Certificate. This will involve the study of:

• Construction Principles
    • Construction Design
    • Construction Technology
    • Health and Safety in Construction
    • Graphical Detailing in Construction
    • Provision of Primary Services in Construction
    • Low Temperature, Hot water systems in Construction in Building Services

After the second year of the course you will gain the Extended Diploma in Building Engineering. This will include:

• Tendering and Estimating
    • Further Mathematics in construction
    • Management of a Construction Project
    • Building Service Science
    • Plumbing Technology in Building Services Engineering
    • Electrical Principles in Building Services Engineering
    • Projects in Construction
    • Electrical Installation Standards, Components and Design
  • How is the course assessed?

Construction Principles, Construction Design, Construction Technology and Tendering and Estimating are all assessed externally. This will occur through examinations and set tasks.

The rest of the units are internally assessed using a range of assessment styles. For each unit you will be awarded, Pass, merit or Distinction.

• What skills will I need for the course?

You will enjoy working with a hands-on approach both inside a workshop and outside. You will have a good ability in Mathematics. You need to be interested in Engineering.

• What skills will I need for the course?

This course requires a high level of problem-solving skills and therefore a sound scientific background is usually helpful. You should have an interest in technology.

• What formal entry requirements will I need?

Minimum requirements - 5 GCSEs at grade A*-C/9-4 including English, Maths and Science.

• What are my progression options?

You could study construction as an apprenticeship, go into management of construction projects or study courses such as architecture or Building Services Science at university.

• Are there any costs involved?

No.

• Are you aged over 19?

Students aged 19 or over on 31st August directly preceding their academic year may be required to pay tuition fees for that year of study. Advanced Learner Loans may be available for students studying at Level 3. If you are aged 19-23 as at 31 August and this is your first full Level 2 or 3 you may not have to pay fees, provided the qualification meets the legal entitlement at that level – Please enquire for further details.

Students who are 19-24 years old with Education Health and Care Plans (EHCP) issued by the Local Authority are not required to pay course fees (ie tuition fees are free). Students will be required to provide a final copy of their EHCP provided by the LA as evidence.

Find your course

What our students say...

What Our Students Say 2019 Engineering Amy

Engineering Posters Case Studies 2019 Amy

Latest News