Find your perfect course

Find the courses that are right for you

Help and Advice

QUICK LINKS

BTEC Applied Law Certificate/Subsidiary Diploma (AS/A equivalent) Level 3

This course looks at the way the law works, how law is made and the people involved in the law. You will also study several aspects of criminal law such as homicide, theft, burglary and robbery.

Please note that this course must be part of an A Level study programme (i.e. it cannot be taken on its own as a vocational subject).

Exam Board: Edexcel

STARTS IN SEPTEMBER 2017

• What will I study and learn?

There are 6 units in this course:

• The court system and people involved in it
    • How the law is made
    • The basic structure of criminal law and the law of negligence
    • Murder and manslaughter, the rights of the accused when in police custody
    • Theft, robbery and burglary, police powers to stop and search premises
    • Consumer law – your rights when you buy goods and services
  • How is the course assessed?

All assessment is by coursework assignment. This may involve written work, presentations and role plays.

• What courses would combine well with this course?

This would normally be studied alongside other AS and A2 subjects. Law goes well with anything; common combinations include English, History, Sociology, Psychology, Politics and Business, but it foes equally well with any subject including sciences.

• What skills will I need for the course?

You need to be good at keeping up to date with assignments and presenting your ideas in a clear and well-structured way. An interest in the law is essential and an interest in current affairs is desirable so that you can give examples from real life to show how the law works.

• What formal entry requirements will I need?

You need to have a minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade A*-C, including a grade 5 in English.

• What could the course lead to in higher education or careers?

The study of law can be a sound background for many careers. It can lead to various careers in law, such as working as a Solicitor, Barrister or Paralegal. It is also a useful foundation for many careers such as business, government, banking and the police force. Contrary to popular belief, entry onto a law degree is NOT hindered by having studied Law at A level/BTEC. In fact, many of our students have successfully progressed onto reading law at university and have found it highly advantageous.

To Apply or Enquire

If you are interested in applying please fill out an application form. If you require more information please do not hesitate in sending us your queries via our enquiry form. We will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.

subject tasters at Richmond upon thames college experience inside the classroom London 2016 2017 1

Find your course

What our students say...

BTEC Business

btec level 3 business student describes welcoming atmosphere and recommends Richmond upon Thames College in London

Best decision

“Richmond upon Thames College was recommended by my school careers advisor and coming here was the best decision I could have made. I started on the level 2 business course before progressing to level 3 and have enjoyed every second. The subject is fascinating, my confidence has improved thanks to both the teachers and the people I’ve met and I’ve felt welcomed since day one. I highly recommend the college.”

More soundbites

access to HE application form for richmond upon thames College business art health studies social care

Local offer of additional learning support at a top ofsted good college in south west london 1

Latest News